PCC is the largest community college in the State of Oregon and contributes to the community in many ways including improving lives while serving nearly 1.9 million residents in a five county area.
We invite you to join this important educational institution and our Payroll Department at the Downtown Center location which is near the Trimet Max lines, The waterfront, restaurants and other nearby amenities.
In this position, you will be part of a diverse team of payroll professionals who contribute in many ways to the success of each team member, the Payroll Department, the Financial Services Division and the College community.
In addition, you will handle a broad range of payroll-related accounting, auditing and reconciliation activities in support of accurate and timely payroll processing. You will investigate and analyze system, process or transaction issues for resolution and process improvement recommendations. You will also handle sensitive and confidential information ensuring compliance with College policies, union contract agreements, and State and Federal legal requirements. This work is critical to the ongoing growth and success of the Payroll Department and the Financial Services Division.
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
These qualifications, skills and abilities are critical for success in this position.
Throughout the screening process, you will be evaluated based on the demonstration of these qualifications.
Has significant payroll related accounting experience.
Has background in GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and applying those principles to payroll processing and audits.
Has strong background in complex ERP systems.
Has experience developing and preparing comprehensive reports, analyses and forecasting.
Has experience reconciling payroll-related general ledger accounts and payroll taxes.
Investigates and resolves complex payroll issues (for example: payroll bank reconciliation).
Has strong written and verbal communication skills.
Ability to work collaboratively with a Payroll team.
Skill in effectively working with a broad spectrum of employees in coordinating payroll data and actions.
Experience working effectively with diverse academic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
To be considered, your application must demonstrate these minimum qualifications. (Experience is calculated based on the start and end dates you provide multiplied by the number of hours per week worked).
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field (experience performing the duties described may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis).
- Two years experience working in governmental, municipal or fund accounting required.
- Demonstrated experience working with PC and mainframe computer systems, hardware and supporting software applications.
- Experience working with computerized accounting systems and how they aid in compiling, maintaining, and using accounting information.
Experience with Ellucian Banner ERP system.
In-depth experience processing large, complex payrolls.
Experience in developing and recommending process improvements.
Certified Payroll Professional.
Experience working with Oregon PERS EDX system.
Starting Salary Expectations
$48,976 to $52,465 (Step 3); based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity.
Position Grade Salary Range
$48976 to $84923 Annual Salary
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs.
For a complete list of PCC benefits, please visit http://www.pcc.edu/hr.benefits
- PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS/OPSRP) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS/OPSRP. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and dependent children under 24 years of age, as well as partial tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
- Please note: Temporary Academic Professional employees are not eligible for Personal Leave Days, Life Insurance, Long-term Disability, or AD&D Insurance.
- Paid Leave: (Pro-rated by FTE for Part-Time Employees)
- Starts at 13.33 hours of vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of services)
- 1 day of sick leave per month
- 11 holidays
- 3 additional personal leave days per year
View a complete list of PCC benefits.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Occasional lifting, guiding and/or carrying of files and other work materials when working at various college locations. May sit for extended periods of time at a desk or working at a computer.
Background Check Required
Portland Community College complies with the Oregon Veterans' Preference in Public Employment law which provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. You will be given instructions during the application process to claim Veterans' Preference in the recruitment of this position, and to provide the documents required for verification of eligibility. Please do not send your documentation to the hiring manager directly. For verification of eligibility, please submit the following documentation:
- Veterans: DD214
- Disabled Veterans: DD214 and Letter from the Department of VA
Portland Community College is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected class.