P/T Adult Education English Instructor-Workforce and Economic Development(2 positions)
Category: Part Time Non-Benefited Positions
Department: Adult Education & Transition Program
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Feb 8, 2021
Type: PT No Benefits
Ref No.: 128126
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at several satellites and instructional sites throughout the Greater Boston area. The largest of the 15 community colleges in Massachusetts, BHCC serves some 18,000 students annually, focusing on holistic student services to ensure student retention and persistence. The College offers certificates and associate degrees, early college and dual enrollment, non-credit community and corporate training, and industry-specific training programs. BHCC is the 8th most diverse higher education institution in the United States, and is an Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. Bunker Hill is also a Hispanic Service Institution, defined as an institution that has an enrollment of undergrad full-time equivalent students that is at least 25 percent Hispanic students. Approximately 1000 international students attend from 100 countries, speaking more than 75 languages.
- Teach course according to schedule and under the terms outlined in contract.
- Prepare lessons by identifying, developing, and implementing materials that integrate listening, speaking, reading, and writing elements, and align with prescribed program curriculum.
- Translate course objectives, student learning outcomes, and course materials into learning activities that are appropriate for Adult Education English students and engage students to promote learning.
- Commit to updating and modifying materials and lessons regularly to maintain relevance and efficacy, and work with other instructors to share and develop resources.
- Perform administrative tasks such as taking attendance, administering, and grading assessments, communicating regularly with students about their progress, and monitoring student progress in the online Learning Management System (LMS).
- Help students identify and set personal goals, and work with students to ensure that they are making sufficient progress toward achieving those goals.
- Guide students in the acquisition of English and help students to understand the target culture, while affirming learners' own cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Be available for meetings with students during office hours or by appointment, or over the phone or email.
- Have students' complete course evaluations and use feedback from evaluations to improve instructive practice.
- Implement research findings and educational best practices in the classroom.
- Attend an instructor orientation, meet with the Assistant Director throughout contracted term, and attend professional development and training opportunities.
- Master's Degree in TESOL, English, Education, or Applied Linguistics; OR
- A master's degree in a related field with specific coursework or training in TESOL/TESL/TEFL methodology and theory.
Skills, Competencies, and Experience:
- Native or near-native English proficiency levels;
- In-depth study/extensive experience with a non-native language;
- Cultural competence and sensitivity;
- Experience working with and teaching adult learners and diverse populations;
- Ability to adapt teaching styles and materials to meet individual needs of students;
- Experience in using technology in the classroom;
- Experience in instructional design;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Possession of a teaching license (a plus).
This is a part-time, non-benefited, grant funded position.
Salary: $45.00/hr. @ 8/hrs/wk
Review of applications to begin immediately, open until filled.
To be considered for this position please upload the following documents to your account:
- Cover Letter
- A Copy of your Unofficial Transcripts
Please be sure to address the Required Qualifications in your documents.
If you need assistance applying through this website please contact our online Help Desk HERE