Manager Science Labs
2505 Kinship PKWY
Celina, Texas, 75009
We are searching for an experienced Manager Science Labs.
Manage the daily operations of Collin College natural science and workforce laboratories. Oversee and ensure successful and safe preparation of laboratory exercises. Supervise, direct, and evaluate the work of employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer daily operations within the science and workforce labs. Recommend lab schedule to dean and associate dean(s).
- Recruit, interview, orient, supervise, and evaluate support staff. Manage staffing schedules of all assigned full-time and part-time staff. Oversee and assist the lab staff with the daily preparation, maintenance, and cleanup of natural science laboratory exercises.
- Develop and manage practices for safe handling and proper disposal of chemicals, including overall education and supervision of students, faculty, and staff in science and workforce labs safety-related activities. Facilitate compliance with EPA, OSHA, DOT, RCRA, TCEQ and other regulatory agencies and acts. Ensure both lab preparation completions and cleanup for all science and workforce labs.
- Develop training programs and activities and oversee the implementation of training for faculty, staff, and students regarding the Right to Understand and other regulatory acts.
- Develop and update practice and procedures manual regarding all science-related activities taking place within the district's science lab complexes.
- Assist the dean to develop and manage the budget for science labs. Oversee purchases and inventory of all equipment and supplies for the campus science lab complexes. Submit purchase order requisitions for the acquisition of laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Schedule and ensure regular service, repair, and calibration of equipment.
- Coordinate, oversee, maintain, and troubleshoot lab computer hardware and software.
- Promote science lab activities within the college district and in the community. Collaborate with faculty in all science disciplines to implement new lab activities and modify existing lab exercises.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties to maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and a minimum of two (2) years of related experience required. Three (3) years of experience preferred.
Two (2) years of supervisory experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of materials used in General Biology, Microbiology, A&P, Chemistry, Geology, Physics and Environmental Science labs
- Knowledge of Collin College budget and purchasing procedures
- Knowledge of science lab equipment and materials
- Knowledge of employment guidelines and laws
- Knowledge of regulatory agencies and regulations
- Knowledge of Collin College Human Resources policies and procedures
- Customer service skills
- Organizational skills
- Computer and applicable software skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to safely handle and prepare chemicals, solutions, microbiological media, stains and subculture microorganisms
- Ability to plan ahead and manage funds for each science discipline
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to operate a personal computer and associated software (Microsoft Office, Banner)
- Ability to effectively supervise personnel and complete all associated personnel actions
- Ability to identify, characterize and treat different types of non-hazardous wastes
- Ability to assist the academic dean with overall management of the science labs
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly having to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for the Sedentary Work category and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated Light Work. Positions in this class typically include talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions, plus stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching. Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, odors, dusts, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting and intense noises. Occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Occasional outside work. Little physical effort required.
***This is a Security Sensitive position. Therefore candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.***
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Employment Type: Full-time Staff
Compensation Type: Annual
Compensation Range: $52,088.00 - 59,901.00
For any employment questions, please contact HR at (972) 985-3783 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Collin College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.