Full Job Description
The Records Assistant (Transcript Specialist) is responsible for the accurate and confidential maintenance of student records. The primary role of this position is coordinating and processing outgoing transcript requests for past and current HCC students. Additional daily roles include answering telephone calls and e-mail inquiries for the Records Office, interacting with students and faculty, and other records office processes. It involves day and evening hours and is a part-time, permanent position at 29 hours per week.
A. The Records Assistant reports directly to and is responsible to the Registrar.
B. The Records Assistant coordinates most closely with the general public, students, other Records staff, Admissions, Advising and Registration Office, Finance, Financial Aid, the Information Center, faculty, the IT department, and the department administrative assistants.
A. Maintain Student Records/General Records Office Duties.
1. Ensure the confidentiality and security of all student records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
2. Maintain the Students’ permanent records and make any necessary changes to the student’s records.
3. Process transcript requests and ensure data is all-encompassing of the students’ history at HCC and enter incoming college transcripts from other institutions.
4. Provide information as required to the student clearinghouse, various loan agencies, and government agencies.
5. Manage and respond to Records Office inquiries, including phone calls, emails, and in person visits.
6. Process enrollment verification requests as needed.
7. Scans and images various department documents and using Perceptive Content (Image-Now) software, including transcripts, Transcript Evaluation Request forms, Name Change forms, AP/CLEP score forms, Appeal forms, Academic Amnesty and Reinstatement Forms, and FERPA release forms, etc.
B. Specific Duties (Transcript Specialist)
1. Serves as primary processor of Official transcript requests as described in section A.3.
2. Under direction of Registrar, serve as the primary contact with Parchment, or other such third-party vendor, in regard to outgoing transcript requests and procedures.
3. In cooperation with Records and Admissions staff, processes receipt of incoming transcripts received from outside institutions and organizations.
4. Resolve duplicate records in Datatel/Ellucian.
5. Perform duties of other Records Office staff members as / if needed.
6. Other Duties as assigned by the Registrar.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma supplemented by courses in computers, word processing, and business/customer service practices required; Associate Degree required; minimum three years' related work experience to include data entry and/or direct customer service experience required; or an equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Excellent interpersonal and verbal skills; proficiency in computer applications such as Word and Excel; experience in integrated database systems is desirable; strong computer skills needed; ability to work independently and accurately under pressure, and make decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Normal office environment with frequent interruptions. Evenings and some weekends are required.
This position is considered open until filled. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled and considered closed.
Hagerstown Community College is committed to the recruitment, selection, hiring and retention of a diverse workforce.