Job Posting TitleStudent Support Specialist (Two Positions) (Revised)
LocationLos Rios Community College District (Cosumnes River College)
Department LocationTRIO STEM
Cosumnes River College (CRC) values diversity, focuses on creativity and personal enrichment, and empowers students to reach their full potential as informed and productive members of the community. CRC is a leader in innovative ideas and sustainable values. One of the four colleges of the Los Rios Community College District, Cosumnes River College seeks candidates who are knowledgeable about the impact of implicit bias in teaching and learning, and who implement culturally responsive teaching techniques and effective practices for engaging students.
Serving south Sacramento County and Elk Grove since 1970, CRC’s main campus and its Elk Grove center provide a dynamic learning environment for more than 14,000 ethnically and racially diverse students. One of the top ten most diverse two-year public colleges in the nation (noted in the Almanac of Higher Education, Fall 2015), CRC is a student-centered, open-access community college dedicated to preparing students for an ever-changing future.
CRC awards Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees, Associate degrees for Transfer, Career Education certificates, and transfer credit for students who intend to continue their education at a four-year college or university. Our 200+ programs include automotive technology, radio, television and film, allied health, veterinary technology, and architecture and design technology, among others.
With a focus on improving completion outcomes for all students, programs like the Puente project, Umoja DIOP Scholars, and Native American Higher Ed Resources, look to increase the number of Latinx, African-American, and Native American students who complete a degree, certificate and/or transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Student support services and programs including CARE, EOPS, Enriched Scholars, and First-Year Experience enhance the ability of all students to complete college. CRC is recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and as an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI).
CRC strives to be an exemplary and innovative community college that empowers students and employees to strengthen the cultural, social, economic, and environmental well-being of their communities.
Under the direction of the assigned manager, coordinates student success and support related programs, components and activities; assists in the planning, coordination, implementation, and delivery of support programs and services associated with the college plans. [For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employees Association (White Collar) posting Job Descriptions click here].
This position is assigned to the TRIO STEM department.
If you have questions about this assignment, contact Tina Nguyen, 1-916-691-7547.
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 15 days’ vacation yearly (with increases after 5 & 10 years) and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full LRCEA contract agreement details.)
● Oversees one or more college student support programs.
● Provides coordination and planning for assigned program activities and events.
● Assists in conducting program review and strategic planning for the assigned college programs.
● Assists in ensuring compliance with and implementation of student services related to regulations, policies, and procedures.
● Gathers and maintains data and statistical information in an effort to ensure appropriate services are provided to students in compliance with district and state regulations, policies, and procedures.
● Participates in recommending and monitoring systems to provide and track support services to students.
● Budgets development and coordination and preparation of the required state and district reports.
● Attends college, district, and department meetings in an effort to assist in ensuring coordination of support services and follow-up activities.
● Communicates with and advises students to move them through the Steps to Success and core services of assessment and educational planning.
● Assists students in their academic career by providing them referrals and resources to meet their educational and vocational career objectives.
● Presents activities to connect students to college programs and services.
● Develops, coordinates, and conducts transition workshops and activities for entering students coming directly from high school.
● Assists in planning and coordinating follow-up and retention activities for at-risk students including those on probation and dismissal.
● Prepares announcements, newsletters, and other forms of communication regarding career education events, activities, programs, and initiatives for dissemination to college personnel and students.
● Assists with the development and presentation of professional development activities for faculty and staff to support student success.
● Performs related duties as assigned.
Work Year10 month
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
(August – May)
Total Hrs per Week/Day40 hours per week
EXPERIENCE: Two years of related experience in student services on a college campus or in a community agency that provides comparable services to students or diverse community members.
EDUCATION: Completion of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, in an area related to the assignment. NOTE: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for up to two years of the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
Education must be from an accredited institution.
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
● Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
● Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
● Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
● It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position).
● Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents.
● A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
● Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Salary$27.83 per hour. LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.