Primary Work Address: Genetics Department, Madison, WI, 53706
Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account.
The Newmark Lab at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is looking for an ambitious and self-motivated scientist interested in elucidating intra-mammalian development of the parasite Schistosoma mansoni . Schistosomes are devastating human pathogens that penetrate mammalian skin, travel through the lungs, and ultimately reside in the blood stream where these parasites lay thousands of eggs a day that cause the pathologies associated with the disease schistosomiasis. The developmental transitions within the mammalian host, particularly the lungs, are largely mysterious and present an opportunity to understand host-parasite interactions that enable schistosome development. More information on the Newmark lab can be found on their website or Twitter: @planapalooza.
Interviewing for this role will begin in November. Please include a cover letter with your application.
- Spearhead projects investigating intra-mammalian development of schistosomes.
- Independently design and conduct experiments under the supervision of the Principal Investigator.
- Conduct literature reviews to be used in determining most suitable research methods.
- Present data to the entire lab (~1-2 times a year), and occasionally at scientific meetings.
- Train other students and scientists.
- Ph.D. (currently or by Dec 2020) with experience in parasitology, immunology, genetics, developmental biology, biochemistry, or molecular biology.
- Experience working with rodents strongly preferred but not required.
- Strong scientific publication history.
- Excellent troubleshooting and organizational abilities.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet).
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer