Institution:Rock Valley College
Faculty - Fine and Applied Arts - Other Fine and Applied Arts
Faculty - Education - Instructional Technology and Design
Application Due:Open Until Filled
Position Title: Technical Director
Dept: Theatre and Arts Park
Employee Status: Full-time
Issued: August 17, 2005
To save time applying, Rock Valley College does not offer sponsorship of job applicants for employment-based visas for this position at this time.
Reports to: Supervision is received from the director and in certain areas from the scenic designer.
Supervision Exercised: Functional supervision is exercised over the Theatre Technician, all student technical assistants, all Starlight technical crew staff and over volunteer crews.
To safely direct the Theatre Department’s technical theatre operation and maintenance including construction and to design lighting for all productions. Teaching of Theatre is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Related duties may be assigned.
1. Coordinate all technical elements of production and engineer them if necessary for all Theatre Department productions.
2. Certify as safe and structurally sound all technical arrangements including lighting design and execution.
3. Produce working drawings as necessary of all scenic units.
4. Build scenic units and physical properties which meet the director’s and/or scenic designer’s specifications by established deadlines.
5. Develop production schedules and materials lists.
6. Train student workers and volunteers in safe construction practices.
7. Enforce the safe operating procedures for the Bengt Sjostrom shop and stage and the Studio theatre space.
8. Maintain an active inventory of all scenic pieces, properties, equipment (including tools, lighting fixtures and all technical theatre supplies), furniture, and stock units.
9. Establish procedures for maintaining tools and equipment in a safe working order.
10. Maintain, initiate and enforce guidelines for safe theatre operation.
11. Regular attendance is expected.
12. Using tact and courtesy, the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with persons contacted in the course of work.
1. Recruit, instruct and supervise volunteer crews.
2. Plan and supervise execution of all scenic shifts and strikes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Master’s Degree in Technical Theatre
2. Practical experience in set construction and/or professional experience in carpentry is required.
3. Demonstrated proficiency in safety is required.
4. Practical experience in Theatre Lighting Design is required.
5. Must possess the ability to teach theatre classes.
6. Considerable knowledge of construction equipment, supplies and materials is necessary.
7. Experience with Vector Works software, ETC Express and Obsession Lighting Consoles is desirable.
8. Strong organizational skills are desirable.
9. Experience in supervising and working with volunteers is essential.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting.
Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear.
Rock Valley College offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and group life and AD&D insurance. In addition, we offer optional flexible spending accounts, LTD, supplemental life insurance and AD&D for yourself and your dependents. SURS pension and optional retirement savings programs. Complimentary use of the Fitness Center for employee and spouse or domestic partner, Educational Assistance, and Tuition Waivers for employee and dependents, paid holidays, up to 20 days of vacation per year, 12 days paid sick leave each year, 3 personal days each year, which can accumulate up to 6 days. RVCare clinic onsite.